Bunker Hill Housing Redevelopment
Built in 1940, the existing Bunker Hill Housing development is severely depreciated with many of the buildings in disrepair. These buildings will be replaced with new residential, retail and community space, as well as green spaces and connections to the surrounding Charlestown neighborhood.
The Bunker Hill Housing Redevelopment project will create a vibrant, new mixed-income and affordable residential community that works for all Charlestown residents and pays homage to Charlestown’s local history.
Construction Projected To Start Fall 2021
- January 14, 2021: Project received BPDA Board Approval
- September 9, 2020: Article 80 public process resumes with public meeting hosted by BPDA
- May 2020: Video Update
- March 2020: Article 80 public process paused due to COVID-19
- Early 2020: Article 80/MEPA public process begins; Community workshops/charrettes
- February 18, 2020: Filed DPIR/DEIR with the BPDA and MEPA
- December 2, 2019: On site studies begin
- Updates announced at Nov. 20, 2019 Meeting: First building constructed revised to be mixed-income; Expanded first phase to minimize off-site relocations for existing BHA residents
Presentations and additional information can be found at www.bunkerhillhousing.com.BACK TO PROJECTS
- 2,699 units in 15 residential buildings, including 1,010 affordable units
- 70,000 SF of retail and community space
- Maximum building height of 10 stories with lower height buildings along Bunker Hill St. and Medford St.
- Buildings will be designed to Passive House standards
- Joseph J. Corcoran Company
- Leggat McCall Properties
- Boston Housing Authority (BHA)
- Charlestown Resident Alliance (CRA)
- Permitting Phase Architect: Stantec