Bunker Hill Housing Redevelopment
Built in 1940, the existing Bunker Hill Housing development is severely depreciated with many of the buildings in disrepair. These buildings will be replaced with new residential, retail and community space, as well as green spaces and connections to the surrounding Charlestown neighborhood. The Bunker Hill Housing Redevelopment project will create a vibrant, new mixed-income and affordable residential community that works for all Charlestown residents and pays homage to Charlestown’s local history.
Site prep and demolition is underway to prepare the site for construction of the first building as a part of the redevelopment. This building will include 102 deeply affordable replacement units, amenity space for residents, and new open space.
- 15 buildings – All buildings will be built to Passive House standards and will utilize MassTimber/Cross-Lamintated Timber (CLT)
- 2,699 units, including 1,010 deeply affordable replacement units. An additional 100 units will be replaced off-site in Charlestown by the BHA ensuring there is no loss of affordable housing.
- 4-10 stories, with building heights stepping down at perimeter streets to match neighborhood context
- 7 acres of open space
- ~50,000 SF retail
- 14,000 SF community center
Presentations and additional information on the project’s public process can be found at www.bunkerhillhousing.com.BACK TO PROJECTS
- 2,699 units in 15 residential buildings, including 1,010 affordable units
- 70,000 SF of retail and community space
- Maximum building height of 10 stories with lower height buildings along Bunker Hill St. and Medford St.
- Buildings will be designed to Passive House standards
- Leggat McCall Properties
- Joseph J. Corcoran Company
- Boston Housing Authority (BHA)
- Charlestown Resident Alliance (CRA)
- Phase 1 Architect: Stantec
- Phase 1 Contractor: Suffolk Construction