Located on the former Sav-Mor Liquors site less than one mile from Kendall Square, the 15 McGrath Highway project will expand Somerville’s presence as a leading life sciences hub and create a dynamic urban experience that celebrates this site as a gateway to Somerville from Cambridge.
Leggat McCall Properties was initially hired by Laben Realty, a family-owned real estate investor and operator, to advise on the highest and best use for the Sav-Mor site. Through this work, the team explored various uses, including multifamily, life science/lab, hotel, and office based on the then draft Somerville Zoning Code (since enacted), which contemplated new allowed uses and potential higher density for the site and area. The advisory assignment concluded that lab/life science would be the best use for this site with a recommendation to explore a broker-led process to bring the site to market.
Based on the positive experience working with LMP on the advisory assignment, Laben Realty elected to forgo a broker process and pursue a JV development opportunity with LMP. Joined by DLJ Real Estate Capital Partners, the partnership recently closed on the land and fully capitalized the project, and is currently under construction on a 262,000 SF lab/office development with creative arts and enterprise space and below grade parking for 268 cars. Site and base building improvements are scheduled to be complete by the end of 2024, with initial tenant occupancy in early 2025.
15 McGrath’s innovative and comprehensive sustainable approach will ensure the project meets Somerville’s climate goals:
- LEED Platinum Certifiable
- 268 below grade parking spaces
- Over 13,000 SF of Arts & Creative Enterprise (ACE) space
- Indoor bike storage for 53 bikes
- Shower and changing facilities to support walking, running and cycling to the building
- 41 EV car charging stations
- Tenant amenity space planned for the 7th floor, including outdoor space
- WiredScore Gold certification
Learn more at www.15mcgrath.com.BACK TO PROJECTS
- Size: 262,000 SF
- Property Type: Ground-Up Lab/Life Science/Office
- Year started/completed: 2019/Ongoing
- Owner/Client: Leggat McCall Properties/DLJ Real Estate Partners/Laben Realty
- Architect: Spagnolo Gisness & Associates
- General Contractor: Turner Construction
- Principal Investment